As a Junior IC
- How comfortable am I developing code and debugging issues?
- Could I give a presentation about my team?
- Do I know who to contact if I’m not sure how to solve a problem (besides my mentor)?
- Did I release a project end-to-end that required me to do more than coding?
As a Senior IC
- Has another team around the company changed what they’re working on based on my actions?
- How strong is my opinion regarding my team’s product goals and technical investments?
- Do I have context around the challenges of my peers (even though it’s not my responsibility)?
- Has another engineer on the team surprised me by taking care of a tricky incident without my involvement?
As a Manager
- Did my reports demonstrate an expanded scope of impact? Is it easy to justify their promotions?
- Did my level of ownership and responsibilities increase in the last year? If so, was it situational or did I seek out those opportunities?
- Is there a clear choice for an individual who could take over my responsibilities?
- My group drove a lot of impact these past two quarters—is it because my teams have grown or is it because I’ve driven innovations to make my teams more effective?